1. Transition Defense Post Rule: “Get your butt ahead of your opponent’s butt.” Goal: Force at least 2 passes when offense has the numbers. Don’t allow a skip for a 3 or drive in transition. Rule: Deep man never leaves paint until post comes to release
2. Dribble Penetration Toughest thing to defense in the game of basketball Rule on Closeouts: “We don’t force the ball any where — we tell them don’t get beat.” Coach Matta: “If you give up catch and shot too much you’ll lose your scholarship.” Teaching Point: Don’t allow ball to get to shot pocket when defending great shooter. On non-driver, we will defend passing hand (scouting)
3. Post Up OSU Fronts the LP Teaching Point: Want quick feet like a boxer Ball up top, we are up the line, on the line Will front the LP always, even if the low post takes a step off the lane. Show Hands Sit Down Push Him Under The Basket Teaching Point: If your late fronting, don’t front.
4. Off Ball Screens Teaching Point: On jump to the ball, they want the jumper to extend far enough to “swipe” at the ball. Main defensive objective: Get 5 guarding the ball! Down Screen…trail all cutters — no sliding through. First Rule: Don’t get screened! If you are constantly getting screened you are not going to be able to play for us.
Teaching Point: Must start when the ball is in the air. Teaching Point: “If my man is screening, I’m in help.”
5.On Ball Screens Coach Matta wants to know if we are “zone up” — (hole covered on ball screen) Teaching Point: On ball screen you don’t have a man. Coach Matta: “Hard & Hedge” — blitz mentality
Ball Defender Rule: Make him use the screen (don’t let him reverse back)
Ball Defender Rule: Defender must go over the screen (not behind) Want defender on screener to recover “through the ally” (between ball defender and screener)
6. Basket Cuts: Jump hard to the ball…stay in stance.No face cuts.
7. Offensive Rebounding: You can’t spend too much time blocking out OSU likes bubble to work on rebounding.
8. Screen the Screener Flex cut-jump low and take away low cut-screen defender will bump high cut-on guard-to-guard pass, jump to ball and “swipe”-thru on down screen (swipe creates lane to cut through)
9. Shooters w/Great Range Vs. a shooter, OSU exaggerates denial to force back cut In transition defense, OSU teaches to run the lane — vs. Shooter, run to the shooter.
10. Out of Bounds Plays Will alter our coverage based on scouting
11. 3 Pointers in Late Game Situations Contact switch on dribble hand-off vs. shooter on late game shot Teaching Point: Player switching on shooter should have high-hands 5th Defender Principle: Defender whose man is out of the play — your goal is to mess the play up. During walk-thru Matta makes sure player knows… “You are the 5th defender on this play.”